School councils play a key role in Victorian Government schools and being a member of the School Council is a rewarding experience. Acting as a team, Council supports the Principal to provide the best possible educational outcomes for students.
Parent members of the school community are invited and encouraged to consider the role of School Councillor. School Council meets at least eight times in each year, and at least once per school term. Meetings are generally restricted to approximately 2 to 2.5 hours duration.
A School Councillor
- Generally stimulates interest in the school in the wider community
- Participates in the development and monitoring of the school strategic plan
- Develops, reviews and updates school policies
- Develops, reviews and monitors the Student Engagement Policy and the School Dress Code
- Raises funds for school-related purposes
- Approves the annual budget and monitors expenditure
- Maintains the school’s grounds and facilities
- Enters into contracts (e.g. cleaning, construction work)
- Reports annually to the school community and to DET.